[thelist] Section 508 Screensaver

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:21:35 CDT 2005

On 5/23/05, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:
> ok, now that I've actually reserached, I see that the US section 508 applies to 'information technology' in general and not just to the web like WAI.
>
> Sooooo, maybe someone could help me understand what would make a screensaver 'inaccessible'? To me this is the scenario:
>
> 1. Leave computer for a while
> 2. Screensaver comes on to avoid you burning out yer pixels
> 3. Come back, touch a key, move the mouse (basically nudge/tap the input devices in ANY way)
> 4. Screensaver goes away
>
> On a corporate network you then also generally need to log back in.
>
> So I don't see how any type of screensaver would in any way make information inaccessible.... does anyone put enormously important info of any kind in a screensaver?
>
> I would think that the network login screen would be the most inaccessible thing in the process as I'm not up to speed on how a blind user would have this info read to them...

The normal idea for multimedia also apply:

- Make sure that there is no fast animation or  that you can turn off
/ slow down animation to avoid seizures in epileptic users

The question is what should the screen saver do? I've seen screen
savers that pulled news RSS and displayed those.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com