[thelist] 508 Compliant Screensavers

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 10:34:04 CDT 2005

> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am ignorant of the technology of screensavers etc, but if a
> > person is totally blind, they cannot see that there is a
> > screen saver unless someone tells them, nor when it has been
> > removed or if there is a login.
>
> Related question... why would a totally blind individual even bother having
> the monitor turned on?  Would a screensaver for a blind individual not
> simply be a disabled screensaver?

But accessibility != catering for the completely blind.
A 508 compliant screensaver must be
- independent of input device
- not feature any flickering or wild animation that could cause seizures

Genuinely blind users are most of the time a really small minority of
the visitors with special needs we can get. A lot of "accessibility
tips and tutorials" forget that.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com