[thelist] Site Review - http://wizardev.ca/

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Thu Jun 2 10:04:10 CDT 2005

> On Jun 1, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Kasimir K wrote:
>>On Privacy Policy page:
>>- and to my ear "may" indicates some uncertainty, as if you may
>>respond if you feel like it - I'd write "so that I can
>>respond" (this goes for the contact page too)

Stephen Rider scribeva in 2005-06-02 14:02:
> This is an subtle point of English, but in fact "may" is correct
> here.  "Can" would also be grammatically correct, but "may" is the
> more polite of the two.  With "may" you are essentially asking
> permission to do something, with "can" you are discussing the
> physical ability to do so.

Now it's my turn to go for the Most Nitpicky Award :-)

Stephen, I do agree with you on the politeness issue, but...

"When you request information by filling out the form on the "Contact"
page, you will need to disclose your email address or phone number so
that i may respond to your request."

As the visitor already has requested information, we should no longer
ask for permission to provide it - instead we should ensure we do have
the physical ability to do so.

.k