[thelist] Security problem using ASP.NET and MySQL

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Thu Jun 2 12:22:28 CDT 2005

I'm new to using MySQL This project is too big for Access and the "free"
aspect of MySQL was very inticing.  I'm still just trying to get the
connection figured out.  MyODBC is installed on the server and the DSN has
been created.  When I push the TEST button in the Connector/ODBC window on
the server it comes back positive.  While in development, the database has
no password.  For whatever reason, it keeps telling me my access is denied.

I would assume the problem is the lack of a password?  So my question is, 1)
Does the password need to be set on the database, on the DSN, or both.  2)
If the database or both, how do you set a password in a MySQL database?

Thanks!

Error:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Exception Details: System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [HYT00]
[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user: '@%' to database
'xxxxxxxxx'

Source Error:

Line 28:  'Connection
Line 29:  Dim MyConnection As New OdbcConnection(MyConString)
Line 30:  MyConnection.Open()
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the code:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 'MyODBC 3.51 connection string
 Dim MyConString As String = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};" & _
        "SERVER=aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa;" & _
        "DATABASE=xxxxxx;" & _
        "USER=Myuser;" & _
        "PASSWORD=;" & _
        "OPTION=3;"

 'Connection
 Dim MyConnection As New OdbcConnection(MyConString)
 MyConnection.Open()