[thelist] Help with Database

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:23:49 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carolyn Jewel" <>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 6:55 PM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Help with Database

*****

The site will initially offer a few hundred titles and will eventually
expand to over a thousand. Each title will have to be searchable by
numerous variables: Title, Genre, Actors, Director, Year, etc.

I want to make sure that the database will be flexible enough that if
the site gets really big that we won't have to modify the DB much.

- Scalable means *not* Access, *not* Excel, probably not PostGres, and
maybe not MySQL. It means Oracle or SQL Server.

MySQL will handle a smaller size db like this no problem, this is a tiny
thing for it. *Maybe* (I doubt it will be very much), if you get up to over
a few million rows things will slow down....

Can supply benchmarks if needed, MySQL is certainly up to this small task.

cheers,

        Mark