[thelist] pixel perfect requirements and web standards

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Mon Jun 6 08:26:55 CDT 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:

>Either way, you're working against the strengths of the World Wide Web
>as a medium. Images will invariably be too small for some, too large for
>others. Flash has this problem, in addition to the problem of the
>plug-in: it's non-free software and only available for the operating
>systems Macromedia (Adobe?) chooses to compile it for.

I'm not entirely sure what relevance the availability of the authoring
package has to anything. After all, GIF isn't free either. It doesn't
change the core issue.

But as an aside, Flash is available for Windows MacOS, Linux/BSD (x86),
Pocket PC, OS/2, Solaris, HP-UX, and SGI IRIX. In these days of
homogenity, that's a decent effort. I know of many free software
packages that have less support - try compiling Gnome/GTK for HP/UX and
see how much of a struggle it is.

Robert