[thelist] javascript debug (easy)

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:26:32 CDT 2005

> I wondered if the target attribute would always cause
> the window to open, no matter what the return value of onclick

It should be afaik. Yet I've not tried to deceive the browser with

elem.setAttribute("target",null);

> Its worth pointing out also that the target attribute is
> deprecated, and targetting should now be a script operation

Imho, however target should not be used, as it is deprecated. Users
are more educated than we think (A test has been conducted on
user-browse behaviors but I cannot recall it). Almost all users know
how to use the browser's back button.
And almost all users know how to open the target link in a new window.

Actually I got annoyed when shift-clicking a link (on IE) opens a new
browser with

a blank page and a

"javascript:openPopup(2)"

sort of thing on the address bar.

Pages that resize to full sreen width and height automatically
irritate me as well:

I know how to make the page full screen. And I can, If I need.
To suit my needs, I have a screen with very high resolution, and
browsing pages full-screen decrease readability for me.

Imho, the browser is the user's kingdom. We should not force it use it
in a certain manner, unless it is absolutely necessary.

One more participation to thread-hijack :)

Cheers,
Volkan.