[thelist] Retro 90s webdesign - speeding up large image downloads

Megan Holbrook meganwh at wi.rr.com
Tue Jun 7 20:50:33 CDT 2005

chris wrote:

> <<they will pretty much look the same to an untrained eye.>>
>
> Hmm - the designer has a trained eye - image optimization that
> compromises image quality is not acceptable to him (I'm struggling to
> maintain good humor about this).
>
> Well, if cutting them up into smaller chunks increases http time, I
> wonder if I could take advantage of that by using a server side cache
> (like the Pear Cache-lite class)

Would it be possible to post the image that you're working on somewhere
online (unless you have a confidentiality agreement hanging over you)?
It's easier to give useful, pertinent advice based on the actual design
than on the abstract notion of an all-image website (my sympathies, by
the way...).

:) M.
Megan Holbrook - megan at kapow.com
Partner - Business Development
kapow, inc. (www.kapow.com) - website design and development

kapow, inc. Milwaukee               kapow, inc. Los Angeles
2405 E. Wyoming Place               1301 Montana Ave., Suite A
Milwaukee, WI 53202                 Santa Monica, CA  90403
T: 414-273-2446 * F: 419-278-9056   T: 310.394.5276 * F: 310.394.5278