[thelist] Pop-up Blocker v. Opening a new window

T-- newsgroups at no-pun.com
Wed Jun 8 11:00:18 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Howden" <jeff at jeffhowden.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 4:04 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Pop-up Blocker v. Opening a new window

Jeff wrote:
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> To view a larger image, I can understand the desire to open a new,
> *smaller*
> window, but to an order form or an external site?  If you're linking to an
> external site and you want to use a new window, do the user a favor and
> don't specify a size or any chrome options.  They'll thank you for leaving
> that stuff untouched.  As to the order form, I don't get that at all.
>
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

TYME} So that the user can still see the product page in the bg of the new
smaller window, if necessary. See http://www.BoomersRentals.com/.  (I did
have it so the order form window opened side-by-side with product page,
thereby allowing the user to actually scroll the product page.  Too many
windows.  See http://www.JuliesRentals.com/.)  This was pretty much a
freebie site, designed long ago -- before CSS was stable on many in-use
browsers. And, at the time of inception, hosted without such tools as
shopping carts readily available.  I will create a nicer solution
eventually, when I upgrade the site's code, but since it will be for free,
it has taken a lower priority. ...Both the clients and myself liked the
simplicity of this order form solution.  To my knowledge, customers don't
mind either.

TYME} The client does like the pop-up window for order form (preferring that
to having the page load in the main window), but he did point out that issue
of pop-up blockers.  He went to create a test order.  Got the confirm() box;
clicked OK, but nothing happened.  The new window had been blocked by the
pop-up blocker.  Problem: he didn't even realize that he had any pop-up
blocker at work.  Since IE now comes with this option default, this issue
might be true for others.

>> Is there an eloquent way (with and without JS) to still
>> do so, given the prominence of built-in and 3rd party
>> pop-up blockers?
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> Without JavaScript?  No, unless you're willing to keep the functionality
> down to *just* a new window without the extra control of sizes, chrome,

TYME} That is fine for the non-JS users.  That is exactly what they would
get with just the target="_blank" attribute.  But, even that seems to be
blocked by some pop-up blockers.

> placement, etc.  With JavaScript you not only have the more advance
> capabilities (if popups are allowed), but you also have the ability to
> detect if popups are being blocked or not and give an appropriate response
> to the user.

TYME} That is a start. Haven't yet found this coding solution. (Searched
"javascript pop-up blocking".)  That would help somewhat, for now.  Suppose
that I need to just suck it up and recode both of those sites with different
Order Form solution.  <whine>I'm a filmmaker, dang it!  I'll never get back
onto my own projects!</whine>