[thelist] Reminder/Task Software

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Wed Jun 15 07:17:14 CDT 2005

Hershel Robinson wrote:

> I recently switched from Outlook 2000 to Thunderbird for my mail
> client. Overall, I am happy with Thunderbird. The one feature I am not
> happy with is the reminders in the calendar--I need to open the
> calendar each day and leave it open or the reminders don't fire. I
> furthermore don't like the interface of the reminders and the snooze
> feature doesn't work for me correctly.
>
> Can anyone suggest a different piece of software to handle reminders
> and task lists etc? I run Windows 2000.

Can't suggest a different piece, but I can suggest a hack that I have
used to remove the annoyance of having the calendar permanently open. If
you install the minimisetotray extension from
http://minimizetotray.mozdev.org/ you can minimise the calendar window
to the system tray (right click on the minimise button). If you copy the
file
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR WINDOWS PROFILE NAME>\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<YOUR THUNDERBIRD PROFILE
NAME>\extensions\{8e117890-a33f-424b-a2ea-deb272731365}\other_stuff\icons\default\calendar-window.ico
c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\chrome\icons\default\
then when you start thunderbird, the calendar extension will have a
calendar icon, which will be what shows up in the tray.