[thelist] Site Check -- bg image problem (fixed!)

T-- newsgroups at no-pun.com
Fri Jun 17 23:53:09 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Seyon" <evoltlist at delime.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Site Check -- bg image problem

> Message from T-- (6/17/2005 10:36 PM)
>
>>Site displaying as intended in IE6 (PC).
>>
>>PROBLEM: Firefox having a fit with my (validating!) code. Background image
>>is truncated.  [Tested with Firefox v. 1.0.4 / PC]
>>
>>http://www.no-pun.com/synergy2005/
>
> Ok, first, your code (XHTML) does *not* validate[1].

TYME} It validated with TidyHTML.  Validators never like my end tags.  A
tradeoff.  Anyone who wants to discuss it, please start a new thread, since
I did not solicit opinions about that.  As for the 2 other items (2 tags
being capitalized), I fixed it just after posting.

> I think your problem is with the background-attachment: fixed property
> you're using. (Why all the !importants anyway? They're really not
> necessary

TYME} Yes, that removed fixed the bg issue for Firefox.

> Though I'm not even sure why you're using a table in the first place. You
> don't need it, all your content flows sequentially one box below the next.
> You could quite easily just use a containing div and give it some
> left-padding. That'd go a long way to cleaning up your code.

TYME} I do not yet know what level of browser support the client is looking
for.  Might need the table layout.  Same true of leaving in the align
attributes. (Typing them force of habit from way back.) They are easily
removed later.   A couple line DOCTYPE is very easy to change.