[thelist] CSS-Only Forms That Don't Suck

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Sat Jun 18 21:38:58 CDT 2005

coming late to the party...

On 16 Jun 2005 at 10:10, ben morrison wrote:
[...]
> I tend to add a pointer cursor to the labels to let users know that
> they can click on them.
[...]

ben, i've found through testing with clients as users (which is
anecdotal and unscientific at best), the hand cursor tends to confuse
them -- they think it's a link and are afraid to click it (and lose
their place), or in a few cases, they click it and expect a pop-up
with help to appear... these expectations have probably been set by a
combination of poor page design in the past (which has burned said
users when they lose the form and all the info they have entered) or
win32 (or other OS) applications that sometimes have help associated
with field labels...

now, to some of the other stuff...

jeff, i am mad at you... you've done something i've just recently
started working on myself (having done simpler forms in the past, i
wanted to make one general form layout that would work with all my
types of forms)...

jerk...

anyway, i do have some issues...

you have a nice vertical line down the center of the form which is
defined by the input fields' left edges... this sets a linear flow
which holds until the submit button... i feel strongly that the
submit button is lost on the right and needs to line its left edge up
to the  vertical you've created... especially since it's hidden under
your note box otherwise, and i had to search for it each time...

i like how you've done the error fields... however, there are cases
where i can't afford to have the extra height inserted by those
boxen... as such, i have an error class that turns my labels red, and
inserts a little red "tick" in the upper left corner of the field
(except <select>s, which always make me grumpy)... i know you've seen
this jeff, since i borrowed the tick idea from you... granted, for
users without CSS, this approach fails... but for apps for targetted
audiences, it works well for me...

your big red error bar at the top (surprisingly) doesn't stand out
for me... i actually didn't see until just now... i think you need to
set it off by increasing its left/right margins so it floats more in
the middle, instead of spanning the entire width...

tabindices... i've actually stopped using them in linear forms like
this... because the order of the fields, when linearized, matches the
tab flow i'd insert, i leave them out and just let the browser handle
tabbing... this reduces conflicts when i really do need to insert
them with complex forms, or when my form gets inserted into a page
that already has them defined in a number space that overlaps my
own...

semantics... i've noticed you're using <div>s as your generic
container... obviously, when containing block-level elements, you're
kinda stuck... but i feel that most of the other <div>s could be
replaced with <p>s, which at least have a semantic meaning and aren't
just generic... granted, you know my aversion to <div>s and <span>s,
so this shouldn't surprise you...

it might interest you (or not) to know that one of my early
implentations along these lines had me stuffing my labels and form
actually worked out quite well, especially when linearized and with
no CSS, but its semantic purity is still kinda questionable...

ok... that's all i've got for now...

enjoy the fish...