[thelist] CSS-Only Forms That Don't Suck

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Jun 20 12:41:38 CDT 2005

Jeff,

Looking at your code again with fresh eyes, I see something now that is
interesting.

The descriptive text under fields, such as the "email" field, is marked up
with <small> tags.  Example:

<input name="email"...>
<small>We will never sell or disclose your email address to anyone.  Once
your account is setup, you may add additional email addresses.</small>

Semantically, this means nothing other than there is small text after the
input box.  The specifications for elements include a "title" and "alt"
attributes and I think it would be appropriate to duplicate this note
regarding the field in one of those attribute.  Otherwise, find some other
fashion to bind the field with it's note, semantically.

As a side-bar, I just noticed that the HTML 4.01 specification defines the
ENTITY encompassing the internationalization attributes (lang and dir) using
hacker shorthand: %i18n.  :-)

Joshua L. Olson
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/
Phone: 706.210.0168

Monitor bandwidth usage on IIS6 in real-time:
http://www.waetech.com/services/iisbm/