[thelist] Browser-based File Management Software

Dan Leonard dan at canopyroad.com
Tue Jun 21 10:12:38 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I have a Web client who's a record producer. He's wanting a "Client Area"
where his "ftp-challenged" clients can download and upload their MP3
files. His Web host's environment:

Red Hat Linux
Apache 1.3.33
Perl 5.8.1
PHP 4.3.10
MySQL databases

I've installed 2 different PHP-based file management systems:

PHPFM (http://phpfm.zalon.dk/)
Invision Power File Manager (http://www.invisionfilemanager.com/)

Both systems do a great job for him as long as file size is 5 MBs or less.
Anything over that and he gets an error message saying, "The document
contains no data." He's been testing it with a file that's about 8 MBs.
When I try uploading the file from my machine, it uploads okay (after
about 2.5 minutes).

My initial guess was that it was a timeout issue. Using ini_set in an
.htaccess file, I increased max_execution_time, max_input_time, and
set_time_limit to 300 seconds. I increased post_max_size to 12 MBs and
max_upload_size to 10 MBs. Still no go for him. It's my understanding that
the Apache server has a timeout setting that may be the culprit.

Does anyone know of a better file-management solution? Would a Perl-based
solution be any better at handling large file uploads?

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject!
-Dan

--
Canopy Road Web Development
http://www.canopyroad.com