[thelist] Explaining Payment Processing

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Wed Jun 22 09:53:36 CDT 2005

Joshua Olson wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I'm preparing to write a document explaining the nuts and bolts of Payment
>Processing for the typical client.  Here's the outline that I've created to
>guide my document.  Would anybody mind commenting on changes to it before I
>begin?
>
>Thanks!
>
>What is Payment Processing?
>	Defined
>	Role in E-Commerce
>	Other Role in Websites
>	Key Components (Merchant Account, Gateway, Client Interface)
>
>What is a Merchant Account?
>	Explanation
>	Bank vs. 3rd Party
>	Storefront vs. Internet Payments
>
>What is a Gateway?
>	Need for Gateway
>	Key players (Authorize.net, LinkPoint, etc)
>	Skipping a Gateway (Nova, etc)
>
>Payment Processing Alternatives
>	PayPal
>	Print and Mail/Fax Forms
>
><><><><><><><><><><>
>Joshua L. Olson
>WAE Tech Inc.
>http://www.waetech.com/
>Phone: 706.210.0168

Joshua,

Another alternative is secure capture of credit card information for
processing via a POS device.  I have several client who have retail
operations and their web volume is such that it is more cost effective
for them to process manually than using a gateway.

Norman

--
---

Norman W. Bunn
norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
803.405.1008
www.CraftedSolutions.com
Crafted Solutions, Inc.
Web Design & Development
Web Site Hosting & Custom Solutions
"Get the results the Internet promises;
 get the 'Net Result' from Crafted Solutions!"