[thelist] Server Administration

patrick pms at stoutstreet.com
Thu Jun 23 16:08:23 CDT 2005

Matthew Lewis wrote:

> Finally, I've asked around different places about how easy or hard it
> really is to run one's own server.  The answers have been many and
> varied, but have never been very specific.  So, I'd appreciate some more
> opinions.  If you consider it easy, I'd like to know why. If you
> consider it hard, I'd like to know just what's so difficult.  And most
> importantly, what skills are indispensable to a server administrator?

One piece of advice I received was
	don't be the first guy on the new helicopter
Barring emergency/high risk patches, try to get a feel for how
patches/upgrades affect your server use/config. Nothing more
disconcerting than HORKING EVERYTHING with a bad patch.

--

patrick sanders
http://www.stoutstreet.com