[thelist] Server Administration

Matthew Lewis matthewhse at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:01:56 CDT 2005

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.  I really appreciate it.

What I'm planning to do is get a dedicated server, either by renting an
unmanaged box or through collocation.  Our connection on-site is still
only DSL, so I won't be running anything from here. Meaning, I suppose,
that I'll have to do everything through a command-line interface (which
is fine; I'm sure I can learn that part easily enough).

I really just want something secure, that won't take a ton of my time to
look after.  All things considered, I may just opt for a managed,
dedicated server somewhere.  I know the cost will be higher, but if it
frees me up to do my other work . . .

Still, I do consider server administration a useful skill. I just don't
know if it's for me.  Is there any easy way to just get my feet wet in
all this and see how it comes along?

Thanks,

Matthew