[thelist] Server Administration

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Jun 23 23:13:29 CDT 2005

Matthew Lewis wrote:

> I really just want something secure, that won't take a ton of my time
> to look after.  All things considered, I may just opt for a managed,
> dedicated server somewhere.  I know the cost will be higher, but if it
> frees me up to do my other work . . .

I'd suggest getting a package from theplanet.com.  I've been hosted with
them for over a year now on a high-traffic (30,000 page views a day)
website, and we've never had any serious problems.  their tech support
is good, their technicians reply VERY fast to even basic tickets, and
they do a lot of the managing as part of the package.  plus, you don't
have to buy any hardware-- its all rented.
http://www.theplanet.com/control/pro/p2800sr_details.html is CLOSE to
what i have (i'm on an older package...  99% the same... jsut different
drive config)

here's a SS of the admin panel.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTc5MTk1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
(probably have to copy/paste into a new browser window-- they .htaccess
restrict)