[thelist] Good "tests" for prospective employees?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Thu Jun 30 13:25:52 CDT 2005

[snip]
Has anyone had potential low-end developers (html/css/light db and
scripting) complete any kind of qualifying "test" as part of the hiring
process?  I've got people interviewing for a production position next
week, and wondered if anyone had done this.  I'd like to test their css
skills, and just make sure they have experience working with site on a
real-world (rather than a textbook) basis.
[/snip]

I like thinking exercises that help to demonstrate other cognitive
skills...here are some examples

By adding one line turn the following into a 6.

IX

What is the ordering in the following numbers? What would be the next
number in the sequence?

8, 5, 4, 9, 1, 6, 3, 2

What is the next letter in the following sequence?

OTTFFS

What is the pattern that differentiates the two groups?

Group #1: AEFHI
Group #2: BCDGJ

What group does K belong to? R? T?