[thelist] Call a CGI from within a form without submitting the from

raanders at mailporter.net raanders at mailporter.net
Thu Jun 30 14:09:31 CDT 2005

Just subscribed but have searched the archives and found only one
message ( that never got a reply ) that came close to what I'm trying to do.

Here is what I've what I've got _mostly_ working ( on a site not ready
for public consumption ).

User is filling out a signup form , which for my sanity gets all their
information ( including CC information ) in one form.

One field is a "desired" username.  Before having them submit the form
they are able to click a <button><Check/button> with an onClick
attribute/action calls a Javascript function that 1) updates fields in a
"hidden" form ( all inputs are type="hidden" ) from specific main form
fields the does a document.forms['formname'].submit();

The "hidden" form has an action to call the CGI ( perl script ) to d
other checking username availability and offer some alternatives if it
is taken.  It also has an onSubmit attribute/action that calls another
Javascript function that opens a new window that is suppose to be be
smaller in size and without the normal bells and whistles.

So the "not for public" site works except for the minimized sized window
-- it is full/default sized.

And now after all that I haven't been able to fake up a demo page but
was hoping this would ring a few bells.  I have other javascript
functions for popping up reduced size help windows that work but they
call window.open() with a URL.

My one thought on this deals with something I read months ago that a
form onSubmit can/does ignore some of the form attributes or that
document.forms.formname.submit() does.

Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

Rod
--
---
[Certified Virus free by MailPorter Mail Services.    www.MailPorter.com ]