[thelist] Restricting Internet Access by LAN IP

Matthew Lewis matthewhse at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:49:02 CDT 2005

 >A linux squid server can actually be on an
 > insanely low powered machine. I run my
 > proxy/firewall on a 200MHz Pentium with
 > 64Mb of RAM and a 2Gb HD that I found
 > on the pavement after someone had thrown
 > it out ; and it still has memory and processor
 > to spare serving up to 4 machines.

In that case, I have an old box that I could just give them that meets
these requirements. Just wondering, what Linux distro do you use on such
a low-spec machine?  I thought they all required a bigger hard drive.

Also, is Squid pretty easy to configure on Linux? I tried it on Windows
and got nowhere with it.

Thanks again,

Matthew