[thelist] IE / Excel / VB.Net / Word

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri Jul 1 09:07:57 CDT 2005

Rob Smith noted:

>>Guys I appreciate you business side responses about how the money
>>all works out, (driving this topic back on course) what technical
>>strategies can we explore that will accomplish this goal: from
>>excel/word -> more secure distributable solution?

Sorry Rob,

I disagree. This looks to be a 'business side' issue.

[I have friends who have written and sold these "MS-Macro"
thingie applications in the banking and automobile sales
industries ... Their approach (and, I believe, the "correct"
answer) ... was to treat this as a service or as a consulting
contract ... Not as an application sale.  (They tried that -
it didn't work. Too many irate service issues when customers
upgrade software and/or buy new machines that the macros
won't 'play nice' with.) This also allows additional revenue
through 'customization' for each client and/or industry.
It _is_ a better approach.]

Techie solution?

Fine - Have him rewrite it as a stable standalone compiled
executeable application in a "real" language that is
independent of upgrades, changes, and modifications to
software not under his direct control.

Tick. Tick. Tick.  Is he done yet?

Poof!  It is now an 'application sale'.

Trying to help,