[thelist] Secure FTP

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Sun Jul 3 12:27:46 CDT 2005

At 04:07 AM Sunday 7/3/2005, you wrote:

>Jason Handby wrote:
>>>I've got a customer asking for "secure ftp" to our server.
>>>
>>>Is there an off-the-shelf package for windows that'll provide this service?

If you already have a secure certificate for the site and FrontPage
Extensions running you already have what you need.

1) With FrontPage Extensions create a user's web folder on the site, it can
be the home folder or any other folder on the site.

2) Then on the PC click My Computer and click Network Places. Follow the
instructions in Add A Network Place. When entering the internet address use
https and the url to the web folder created in step 1.

3) Step 2 creates a Web Folder shortcut you can place on your desktop, etc.
When you open it Explorer logs in to the web folder on the site and morphs
into an FTP client. Viola, you have secure File Transfer using the https
protocol. Using the FTP-like Explorer is a bit weird at first but once you
get the hang of it it's OK.

Keith
cache at dowebs.com