[thelist] Remote Desktop Client on XP Home?

Jono Young jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Mon Jul 4 08:20:48 CDT 2005

I need a bit of help with a PC running XP Home.  I bought a low-end
Dell a few weeks ago for the sole purpose of testing websites in IE 5
+  The Dell came with XP Home Edition installed.  Recently, I
discovered that I can install Remote Desktop on my Mac so that I can
run and test IE 5+ (on the PC) right from my Mac's desktop.  Cool!  I
don't even need to use the PC to test those browsers, or do I?
Apparently only XP Professional can run Remote Desktop Services, so
it looks like I cannot use Remote Desktop on my MAc to access PC
browsers?

Does anyone have a suggestion?  Are there Shareware/Freeware
applications for XP Home that do the same thing?  I know very little
about XP Home as an operating system, I am a long time Mac user, and
pretty much bought a $200 version of Internet Explorer when I
purchased this Dell.  Virtual PC is an option, but I really, really,
don't want to but that on my Mac.  There must be another option, I
just am unfamiliar with it at this point, right?

Remote Desktop info for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/
remoteintro.mspx

Remote Desktop Client for Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?
pid=remotedesktopclient

Anybody else out there have a similar setup that works for them, or a
good suggestion?

Thanks.