[thelist] Re: x-cart vs zen-cart

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Wed Jul 6 22:06:02 CDT 2005

Darin Lang wrote:

> I have used Zen Cart and found it to have great support and a large
> active developer community that is in the progress of addressing these
> few complaints mentioned, about tables being incorporated in the
> output and messing up the pure CSS template. I found it far more
> flexible and easier than x-cart, cube cart, fish cart, oss commerce,
> miva, shopsite and any of the other carts i have used over the years.
> Zen cart is incredibly customizable, and easy to get up and running
> with. You can see two zen cart stores at the link below, one
> wholesale, one retail.

I am in the middle of my first Zen Cart site. I have found it to be an
easy installation, and after a week of reading the support forums and
FAQS to understand the design, fairly easy to modify. I researched in
the forums, each mod needed as I came to it in the production plan (stay
focused) and we are close to a production site in a week (the client
already had most of the graphics ready and started uploading as soon as
I had Zen Cart functional).

While the templating system is rolled by Zen Cart (instead of using
Smarty or other popular templating engine), it provides for template
overrides for your customizations. You simply create a template
directory with whatever name you want, copy the default template file
you need to change into your directory and modify to your hearts
content. The sweet part is when you upgrade (good one coming soon), your
mods stay in place. The only thing you need to do is run diff's on the
new files and your modified files to see if there is anything you need
to add to your mod files for new features.

Zen Cart is going to be non-table, xhtml/css within the not too distant
future. It is currently xhtml 1.0 Transitional by code but I have not
yet begun validation tests on this new site so I don't know how well it
validates.

You can see the work-in-progress at toddbloom.com (a client domain/URL
so everyone be considerate) for another example of what can be done.
While not finished with presentation/layout, the site is fully
functional and will charge credit cards if you take it that far.

Ron D.

--
Ron Dorman
Simply Digital Technologies