[thelist] Photoshop > Colour washout on 'save for web'

Roberto Gorjão roberto at castelosnoar.com
Sun Jul 10 23:44:58 CDT 2005

Paul,

Well, I’ll describe how I usually configure photoshop for the web work…
I can only hope that it works for you too.

    * First set the color settings (menu edit) for Web Graphics
      Defaults. Notice if the RGB working space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and
      that the color management policies are all off.
    * After opening the image, make sure that it’s in RGB mode (menu
      image / mode)
    * In the view menu, make sure that proof colors is unchecked.
    * When saving for web, always use uncompensated color

That should be enough… If it is not, maybe you need to configure the
adobe gamma control panel. You will find it in your windows control
panel folder. Adobe Gamma is a panel installed by any of adobe’s
applications. It can be quite useful for print jobs, but also a pain for
web design… Anyway, using the simple version of the panel (not the wizard):

    * make sure that the color profile loaded in the Description field
      is sRGB IEC61966-2.1… If not, press load and load it.
    * Also try to set the phosphors accordingly to your monitor.
    * The gamma should be set to windows default: 2.20.
    * The white point should be set for your monitor’s default (if you
      don’t know it, press the measure button and try to guess it,
      preferably with your lights and windows shut) and adjusted to same
      as hardware.

If you’ve done all this and your problem persists you have two choices:

    * Delete the adobe gamma panel (if you don’t do print design, you’ll
      probably not miss it!)
    * Change to macromedia fireworks… to bad that it probably wont last
      much, as adobe has bought macromedia…

I really hope that this can help you out!

Roberto Gorjão