[thelist] ASP support going away?

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Jul 19 13:43:29 CDT 2005

> One of our infrastructure architects is making a claim that MS
> "will not be supporting ASP much longer since they are pushing
> .net".

Define 'supporting'

If I have a Win2K server, it'll run 'old' ASP. Nothing MS does will kill
that.

If I upgrade my server someday, who knows what scripting languages it'll
support. On Win2K3 I can use .NET or 'old' ASP. On Win2K5, I suspect
I'll have no choice (other than switch to UNIX and PHP, of course ;)

If I want tech support with my 'old' ASP infrastructure, I'll be calling
a consultant, not MS.

If you want to move to .NET, convince someone how it will save (or earn)
money, or eliminate a genuine threat to a critical business function.

Yes, I am the master of The Answer You Didn't Want. With seven kids and
one on the way, it's my job :)

joel