[thelist] wireless router and a vpn?

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Fri Jul 22 07:11:31 CDT 2005

Rick Faaberg wrote:
> On 7/21/05 11:03 PM "Justin Zachan Mgmt" <justin at jazzmanagement.com.au> sent
> this out:
>
>>If anyone can recommend where to start (or even a solution) for a VPN (using
>>wireless) that would be fantastic.
>
> I haven't done much research on this, but I'm aware of:
>
> --- quoting
> Open VPN
> <http://openvpn.net/>
[snip /]

> Maybe check that out? Looks complicated to me, but that's just me. :-)
>
> Hth
>
> Rick Faaberg

+1 for OpenVPN.

I use it to accomodate four home offices and five road warriors
connecting to a mixed Linux/Windows office.

I tried various IPsec based solutions, including the built-in Win2k
features, but interoperability with Freeswan and native router solutions
really sucked, largely due to dynamic addresses at home and on the road.

OpenVPN shows up as a virtual ethernet adapter that can be addressed,
routed to, or bridged like any other.  Very flexible.  With its TCP
tunnel mode, NATs and dynamic addresses on the road are no problem.
Only the office server needs a DNS-locatable address.

The road warriors can stop their own OpenVPN service to connect
otherwise seamlessly with DHCP at the office or any home.  (Some static
routing configuration required at the main office and each home office...)

HTH,

Phil