[thelist] RRS and the like

David Siedband technique at oceanicsky.com
Sun Jul 31 20:57:19 CDT 2005

Ken,

The relative strengths of RSS and Atom have been talked about a
bunch.  If you google for "RSS vs. Atom" you'll find lots of discussion.

We chose RSS for our feeds because more clients seem to support it.
The complaints people usually have about RSS are that it is too
simple, and that it is frozen (not adding features...)  For example,
RSS doesn't provide a semantic way to support multiple contributors,
or have separate fields for "summary" and "description".  So it's
fairly common to see multiple 'fields' jammed into a single RSS tag.

Consider how complex the content-types are that you are making into
feeds.  If you have time/funding consider doing both RSS and Atom
feeds...

--
David