[thelist] IE layout problems

Steve Clason stevec at topdogstrategy.com
Mon Aug 1 10:43:12 CDT 2005

On 8/1/2005 5:55 AM Stuart Young wrote:
> hi, sorry for being so dim, I'm sure this is a FAQ but why does this CSS page work fine in Firefox/Safari but break in IE?
>
> http://www.immigratenz.co.nz/expo-programme.html

One reason (probably) is that you have an incomplete Document Type
Declaration at the top of your page. That causes IE6 to render in
"quirks" mode, duplicating the rendering weirdness of earlier versions.

Put this at the top of the page--before anything else--and at least some
of your troubles will disappear:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

That is, just to be clear, replace your current imcomplete DTD with this
one containing the URL.

--
Steve Clason
Web Design and Development