[thelist] RE: PHP & COM on Windows

Tim Massey Tim.Massey at itrm.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 02:43:34 CDT 2005

It's true I am triggering the PHP script from a web page - I have run
some sample scripts in the same way and the application does become
visible.

My objective is to develop a script/program which can read an attached
CV, grab the contents of the document (doc, pdf, or whatever) and
'paste' the content into the database via an insert statement.

I also need to develop some form templating system to replace things
like {comapany_name} in various documents and then print them out - like
a mail merge.

Is there an easier way?

-----------------------------

I'm starting to get into COM scripting from PHP and have come across an
annoying issue. I can start an instance of notepad.exe but the app never
gets focus or is visible on screen.

It definitely runs - and is seen in Task Manager - but I can not see it!
I have tried the appactivate() method without success.

Does anyone know of a good reference sites to learn more about using COM
from PHP?

Many thanks.

Tim.
------------------------------

Message: 14

Are you running PHP as a webpage? If so, why do you expect notepad.exe
to be visible to the interactive user? Unless you happen to be running
your webpage in the same security context as your interactive logon
-or- you enable that security context to interact with your desktop
(only do that for privileged processes), then the two processes will
have differing security contexts, and each context has it's own desktop.

Cheers
Ken

Message: 16

Yes. Perhaps the original poster misunderstood what COM is used for.
It seems he's looking for a way for the client to launch notepad.exe.
In which case he should looking for client-side ways of doing it.