modified preordered tree traversal (was RE: [thelist] CF: Values transposition. Too ugly, needs a face lift.)

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Aug 2 17:58:15 CDT 2005

> i gave up on using parent/child ID relations in SQL to represent
> heirarchies some time ago.  mostly due to ugly recursive techniques
> required.
>
> for my money, modified preordered tree traversal is the way to go.
>
> google:
> <http://tinyurl.com/9uc5a>

I find this fascinating. (Maybe I'm easily amused.)

All the references I can find point to one tutorial, which could really
be much better (even if you don't include the endless typos, which drove
me nuts, especially where "were" and "we're" are interchanged. But,
again, maybe I'm easily confused.)

Anyway, is there more out there about modified preordered tree
traversal? Is there a 'definitive document' or is that tutorial it?

thanks

joel