[thelist] server side software to convert images

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Thu Aug 4 05:20:17 CDT 2005

super super wrote:
> thank you all, the GD library was very usefull, it worked on my development server, however I just found out that my hosting company doesn't support GD, and they said
> "Enabling the GD library would entail recompiling of php with those components and is not as simple as enabling it in he php.ini."
>
> Is there anyway to do image function via other methods?
>
> Thank you for everybody, really apperciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Stanley

Well it very much depends on what your hosting co will let you run. I
once wrote an app that took an image and ran a command line app
(specifically irfanview on windows but something like imagemagick would
have worked just as well) to create a thumb. This was woefully insecure
though and was only done because it was a closed system for my own use
on a server that I controlled.