[thelist] E-mails into database (again!)

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 15:00:45 CDT 2005

Since I last posted about this I have been looking into the suggestions put
forward. To re-cap, there is an e-mail list (similar to this one) and I want
to place all the e-mails into a searchable database on a web site. Someone
suggested http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/092201-1.shtml as it is to
be hosted on an old NT server using CDONTS. I was quite keen to code it all
myself but unfortunately the server space I have is shared and so I cannot
install any programs and, because this is for a charity, they can't really
justify the expense of a dedicated server. I have also looked at
http://www.gdidb.com/ but it is not the most intuitive program in the world.
But it occurred to me yesterday that I have a server on my machine already,
IIS on XP Pro. So my question is, is it possible to write a script that will
run on IIS to connect with either an e-mail account or search my hard drive
for copies of the downloaded mails, and then put the results into a database
which I can manually upload once a week? I realise this is probably not the
best way to do this, but to my mind it should work. If this is the case, can
anyone point me in the right direction as to how I might achieve this
because I have no idea even where to start looking.

Thanks again

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk