[thelist] Connecting to remote daabase?

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Tue Aug 9 13:08:51 CDT 2005

looks like a MS SQL box.  if its not, this probably won't apply.

  Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;UID=abc456;Password=******;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=abc123;Data Source=fubar.url.com:1433

of course, fill that in with the right stuff :p

the firewall on their end that the sql box is behind will need to port
forward 1433 to the sql box.  verify that with them before you even
attempt to conenct (it should be up if they gave you the port..  but you
never know-- 1433 is the default sql port, and if they have more than 1
DB server, you might have connection probelms, as it needs to be
specified on the firewall which one to go to on the domain)

you would use the DSN to conenct to the box for queries w/ odbc.  and
that depends on the language you are using for the site it self.