[thelist] ASP.NET displaying data on a page

Casey aspnet at thecrookstons.com
Wed Aug 10 16:32:12 CDT 2005

Is there no other way to display data on a page other then in a repeater, a
datalist, or a datagrid?

<confession> I am still learning this .NET thing, and I find myself thinking
in classic ASP style (aka: recordsets).</confession>

What I need to do right now is grab some info from a table about a single
person.  This data will come from a couple different tables.  Then I need to
display the data on a page.  It will include stuff like first name, last
name, address, phone, notes on the person, a history of transactions, etc
etc.  I DO NOT want this data displayed in any sort of grid.  I want TOTAL
control over how it appears on the page.  The name will appear at the top of
the page, the address down a ways, the notes off to the right, etc.  NO
GRIDS!!

What is the best way to go about this?  In classic ASP I would have just
created a record set and called the information at will: recordset("fname").
How do I attack this in .NET?  DataReader? DataSet?????

TIA!!

(hoping I have not exceeded my daily allotment for questions on The List)