[thelist] RSS Audio Feed

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Wed Aug 17 20:32:29 CDT 2005

having just researched this for our new podcast feed:
and help page:

it seems that an audio feed is just a normal RSS feed but with the audio linked to in an <enclosure> tag. Only RSS2 and Atom support them?

So you just need to tweak your CMS that is making RSS files, to make them with <enclosure> tags too. Or you need to start making RSS files. There are plenty of ASP scripts for generating RSS files.

I found it was very easy for us to start "podcasting" - the blog software we use, Wordpress, does it automatically for you. If there is a link to the file in the body of the blog post, then it automatically adds the <enclosure> tags to the feed.

Dr Stuart Young,       	+64 (0)9-815 4321 x 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz> 	+64 021 183 2846 (mob)
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
Unitec New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
(the official URL for my staffpage is too long and complex)
Web development, graphic design and photography

>>> Hershel Robinson <hershelr at netvision.net.il> 10/08/2005 22:55:22 >>>
I have a client with a large ASP-based custom-CMS-powered site that now
has audio files. He wants to set up an RSS feed for those audio files.

The site is presently in ASP although there is a consideration (in
deliberations right now) to rebuild the site in PHP, so either one is a
solution at present. I also have seen Windows apps that appear (I
believe) to create such a feed.

I know nothing about RSS, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Workers of the Web, evolt !