[thelist] Bidding a project

Anthony Ettinger apwebdesign at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 14:54:17 CDT 2005

I typically decide on my hourly rate, and multiply it
by an estimate of how many hours it will take me
(giving a +/- margin in the bid) to complete the
project.

As for ongoing maintenance: If I have a dedicated
server already (or they need one), then it makes sense
to charge them recurring fee for hosting + setup.

If I don't want the trouble associated with admining
the server, then I have them purchase their own
server/hosting account.

Web site updates I charge hourly rate as needed.

I've been burned on small projects, ie - quick fixes
to sites (people change the root password, and then
don't pay up). In this case, I try to get 50% upfront.

If it's a big project ($1000+ and it's a new client)
then I would write-up a legal-binding contract and
terms (probably need a lawyer for this, or can
download samples online).

I've heard there is contractor's insurance. I haven't
looked into it yet, but some people sware by it (ie -
you "f" something up, they can't sue you).

Anthony Ettinger
ph: (408) 656-2473
blog: http://www.chovy.com