[thelist] JS: Resizing an image?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 04:58:07 CDT 2005

> hardware, operating system and browser.  I've not experienced poor quality
> client-side resizing in ages, but I'm using a decent machine.

Good for you, and how does that relate to your visitors? I am on a
3.2ghz machine with 2gb of RAM, a 19" TFT and a 4mbit connection and I
still consider HTML resized images ugly and unneccessary pageload.

> Server-side
> resizing will definitely produce consistent results, and will perform well
> if you only have a few discreet sizes for an image (e.g. passport, postcard
> & poster).  But client-side resizing would perform better if your scenario
> involves a truly variable rendered size for an image a user typically sees
> more than once on a page or during their visit.

Images means Bitmaps and that will always be a bad idea to resize on a
browser on a client machine. If SVG were supported properly yet by
browsers we can talk.

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FrontPage has a "sizing images"
section that has some good examples

--