[thelist] Java for Beginners (with emphasis on uPortal)

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:15:08 CDT 2005

My first stop would be java.sun.com. They are the creator of java and
they have pretty good tutorials on various levels. You can download
sun's "The Java Tutorial" and work yourself offline if you like.

Secondly, I suggest Deitel&Deitel's "Java How to Program" as a
beginnger to intermediate book for reference. It has easy to follow
text supported by brain-crashing exercises at the end of each chapter.

Mark Wutka's book on J2EE is another excellent book which is
upper-intermediate to advanced level, discussing more real-life
scenarios; using server-side java on enterprise level projects etc.

Here are three other sites worth mentioning: Java boutique(1),
javaworld.com(2) and big moose saloon(3).

[1] http://javaboutique.internet.com/
[2] http://www.javaworld.com/
[3] http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

HTH,