[thelist] Table layout to CSS: Not as easy as I thought!

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Aug 30 07:54:57 CDT 2005

Bill Scheider wrote:

> Although I've been using CSS for some time, I'm still new and this is my
> first attempt at using style sheets for layout. What an adventure! I'm
> converting the site below from tables. The screenshot link shows what it
> looks like in Firefox (and what I'm hoping it will look like in most
> browsers).

> In IE6 (Windows XP, 1024 res), tho', it's broke, broke, broke! The top menu
> bar (red) shows in IE but then repeats itself (without the menu items) about
> 1/3 down the page. Also, there's a huge white gap between the small product
> image at the top of the content div and the data table below it. The firefox
> (preferred) version has the data table about 15px below the image.

> If anyone on this list would take some time to take a look and teach a
> novice a lesson or two, I'd really appreciate it. I wrestled with it laast
> night for a number of bleary-eyed hours and can't figure out where to go
> from here.

> Markup and CSS Validates.

> Page can be found here:
> http://first-encounter-design.com/syntonic/prod-plo.html
> CSS is here:
> http://first-encounter-design.com/syntonic/css/mainleft.css
> FF screenshot is here (45K):
> http://first-encounter-design.com/syntonic/screenshot.jpg

Looks to me like something is fixed in px wider than the available
space. A run through the links on
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModel will probably turn up an
answer. http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModel

Before you do that, you should switch to fonts everyone can see.
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/defaultsize.html All your content is
much smaller than my tiny browser menu text. In IE, where your text
can't be resized, I can't see anything except a heading. It takes
several zoom levels in FF for me to read it:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/fed.png
--
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
                                                Matthew 6:27 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/