[thelist] Table layout to CSS: Not as easy as I thought!

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Aug 30 19:18:36 CDT 2005

Bill Scheider wrote:

> Thanks Felix. I'll check out the sources you sent and see if that helps.

> I have the same concerns about the font sizes; I have trouble seeing them
> myself! The client <em>insists<em> that the page be only one screen (no
> scroll bar to get all info). He also doesn't want to decrease the banner
> size. I've shown him that given the page dimensions, the page(s) won't view
> without scrolling on most browsers (it doesn't on mine, for example, but
> does on his mac running Safari at 1024). I argued that most people are
> accustomed to scrolling and would rather do that and be able to read the
> text. He's totally off-base with this IMHO. He is paying the bills, though.
> Does anyone have any other ideas to counter this kind of client argument.

A picture is worth more than a thousand words in these cases. If this
client is an absentee client, you must put a stop to it. Let him look at
it on his Mac as much as he wants, but make him look at it in your
environment too. Show him how it looks to others, like setting at least
one system up like mine to do as I did and show him what it looks like
to people with high resolution (generally high $$$ people) and to people
with special needs (low vision, but not blind). Show him Section 508,
whether or not it applies to him. Show him adaptability and fluidity,
and explain how they can translate to more sales at little or no
additional cost to him. Show him what visitors to a page like that do,
either immediately using the back button to go back to one of his
competitors Google found who welcomes everyone with friendly
adapability, or zooming it, or with IE, trying to zoom it and failing.
If his eyes are good, be sure to subtly force him as far away from your
screen as you can get away with. IOW, you must sell him.
--
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
                                                Matthew 6:27 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/