[thelist] javascript default event handlers, default events. [TIP]

Kowalkowski, Lee (ASPIRE) lee.kowalkowski at hmrcaspire.com
Thu Sep 1 05:00:15 CDT 2005

Volkan,

> I do not want to dramatize things but there are people on the world
> who can't use javascript for certain accessibility reasons. Be it a
> visual impairment, a motor inability or any other exceptional
> situation. And if you have met some of them you will be surprised how
> ambitious they are, how they are willing to suck knowlegde. You'll be
> surprised when you see their will to live.

My client employs an abnormally high proportion of users with accessibility
needs, and as they are a government department, we would certainly face
litigation if our products were not accessible.

> You may name both doSubmit and processForm as interfaces. But the code
> is an accessibility disaster.

The design is an accessibility disaster.  If you added those events in
javascript, you'd have usability problems, let alone accessibility!  Some of
our users with accessibility needs *are* using javascript, incidentally.

> To repeat myself; -imho- one is free to follow whichever approach s/he
> is comfortable with.

I agree, as long as it is accessible.

> I *strongly* vote for the unobstrusive one, that's my personal
> preference. I will defend it as much as I can. But this will not take
> the discussion anywhere.

You can use onsubmit on the form element unobtrusively.  It's ignored by
non-JS browsers, it's unobtrusive when there's no dependency on JS, not when
there is no JS.  Although I admit if there is no JS, it's guaranteed to be
unobtrusive, but you do not get accessibility for free.

Thanks for the discussion fella's, I appreciate it, but I'm signing off this
thread now (you'll be relieved to hear!).  I have taken your advice on
board, honest, I always do, and I do respect the valid points that you have
all made.  Thanks.  Besides, I'm in meetings for the rest of the day.  ;-)

- LK