[thelist] SQL Server - INNER JOIN vs WHERE clause

Chris at globet.com Chris at globet.com
Thu Sep 1 08:25:04 CDT 2005

Joshua

> Your question is a bit ambiguous.  By "explicit" do you mean
> the difference between these two syntaxes?:

What I actually meant was the difference between 1. and 4. You have more
than comprehensively answered my question, though - thanks :)

> 1.
> SELECT table1.foo, table2.bar
> FROM table1, table2
> WHERE table1.pkid = table2.fkid
>
> 2.
> SELECT table1.foo, table2.bar
> FROM table1
> INNER JOIN table2
> WHERE table1.pkid = table2.fkid
>
> Or, do you mean the difference between these two syntaxes?:
>
> 3.
> SELECT table1.foo, table2.bar
> FROM table1
> INNER JOIN table2
> WHERE table1.pkid = table2.fkid
>
> 4.
> SELECT table1.foo, table2.bar
> FROM table1
> INNER JOIN table2
> ON table1.pkid = table2.fkid

[..]

Chris Marsh
Web Developer
http://www.globet.com/
Tel: +44 20 8246 4804 Ext 828
Fax: +44 20 8246 4808

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the Company. This message is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete it from your system.