[thelist] accessing an input type (ie checkbox) through a nested CSS style

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at scientiasolutions.com
Wed Sep 7 06:37:26 CDT 2005

Hello boys and girls,

I am trying to style a series of forms using CSS. I have access to the
stylesheet to do this but not the actual codebase to add necessary
additional classes etc.

I want to redefine my text boxes with a different than default border.
Initially I achieved this through redefining the input tag. A side effect of
this is, that in redefing the input tag I am inheriting the redefined border
on checkboxes and radio buttons.

I have googled about on this problem, and the general idea/solution is that
certain input types are given a corresponding class (ie <input
type="checkbox" class="checkbox">. Here lies the problem, I don't have
access to the forms to change the code. :( (reminds me a bit of the song
"there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza")

some other sites suggest using definitions such as

input.text or input[type="text"] as ways of accessing the input type. I have
experimented with this but can't get them to work. Am I missing something
simple here? Has anyone tackled a problem like this before?

hope someone can help...

Roger