[thelist] Change mySql field size

Bernardo Escalona-Espinosa escalonab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:08:59 CDT 2005

Hello list,

I feel really dumb by asking this, but I just need to be sure.

I need to change the size of a field in one of my mySql databases.
Right now i only allow visitors to my website to add comments that are
300 chars long, and i want to allow up to 1000.

1) I couldnt find a definite answer but i think the mySql command goes
something like this:
ALTER TABLE comments CHANGE comment_content text(1000);
Does this look ok? Im still not very clear on the maximum size and
trailing-space removal of TEXT-type fields.

2) Will the existing contents of these fields be affected? My guess is
probably not, but I just want to make sure.

Bernardo Escalona Espinosa
  office: [52 55] 56 22 85 23
  fax:  [52 55] 56 22 88 77
  home: [52 55] 55 30 13 96