[thelist] Passing a very large data session-wide.

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Thu Sep 8 08:35:22 CDT 2005

I would be looking at - how frequently is this going to be accessed, for one: can it be gziped and a reference to filename held in session/db, or is this going to eat too much cpu?

Are there common blocks - could a boilerplate(s) be used with, say, xml or such to store variables?

Or else I'd go with what you mentioned - write your file to FS or a DB blob - in the former, keep filename in session, if it's being accessed regularly, fs caching should make performance near or equal to being in session, likewise with good db query caching. If not, you still have the reference, and more free memory.

Rob