[thelist] Domain Name Aliasing

Anthony Ettinger apwebdesign at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 14:45:25 CDT 2005

I use apache (http://httpd.apache.org/)

What most people forget is that they need an alias in
the DNS server too, so it will forward requests for
www.foo.com and foo.com to your ip.

Then the web server, just needs an alias in the main
configuration for that domain:

with apache it looks like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName foo.com
ServerRoot /var/www/foo.com/htdocs
ServerAlias www.foo.com
</VirtualHost>

--- "Canfield, Joel" <JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org>
wrote:

> > For example, we have a site, accessible via
> browser at:
> >
> > http://www.mysite.com
> >
> > I need it also to be accessible under the domain
> alias:
> >
> > http://mysite.com
>
> I use 5, not 6, but here's how it's done in IIS5:
>
> Open Internet Services Manager
> Select the website
> Click the 'Properties' button (in IIS5 it's the
> little hand pointing to
> a document)
> You should be on the 'Web Site' tab. Click the
> 'Advanced' button in the
> 'Web Site Identification' section at the top.
> Click the 'Add' button in the top box, 'Multiple
> identities for this Web
> Site'
> Choose (or not) the IP address and enter the TCP
> port (80, I hope :) and
> then put whatever you want in the 'Host Header Name'
> field, as in
> 'mysite.com' or 'bob.mysite.com' or, if you have two
> domain names and
> you want 'em both to point to the same site, you
> could enter all these:
>
>   mysite.com
>   www.mysite.com
>   thatsite.com
>   www.thatsite.com
>
> That should provide endless happiness.
>
> joel
> --
>
> * * Please support the community that supports you.
> * *
> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

> Harvester
> and archives of thelist go to: