[thelist] How to hide blocks of code on a page from being picked up by the search engines - Can it be done?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Sep 8 18:04:03 CDT 2005

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
>  I was asked if this could be done and how and I am not sure. If you want to
> hide a particular block of content within a two column layout, say for
> instance within a div, from the search engines picking this up, can it be
> done and how?

Probably your best bet would be clientside javascript to insert your
content, using the same tactics people use to hide email addresses from
spambots (hex encoding, etc).  Make it an external js file.  Ultimately
no content you display on the page is going to be 100% hidden from a
search engine unless you require some sort of authentication, but AFAIK
all engines ignore the content of external js files.

Why would you want to *hide* your content anyway?

--
Max Schwanekamp http://www.neptunewebworks.com/