[thelist] grounding + shorts (installing hardware)

Anthony Ettinger apwebdesign at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 21:12:30 CDT 2005

Yeah. Most people seem to think simply touching the
case prior to handling hardware is enough.

I don't think I shorted the motherboard, I think it
was defective. I would've touched the case anyhow
right before picking up the motherboard. and i was on
linoleum floor, not rug. Just a defective board. I'll
know for sure when i get my new one next week
sometime.

--- Rick Faaberg <rfaaberg at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 9/9/05 9:33 AM "Anthony Ettinger"
> <apwebdesign at yahoo.com> sent this out:
>
> > It's just a matter of time before someone tells me
> > have to get extra long battery cables and hook one
> end
> > up to my nipple, and the other end to the
> microwave,
> > while wearing an aluminum mixing bowl on my head -
> > otherwise i could damage the motherboard.
>
> Hee hee! :-)
>
> But seriously, I worked as a tech for a lot of years
> and hardly ever wore
> the "strap" and never zapped anything. We did have
> tile flooring in the
> shop; maybe that helped.
>
> I wore "the strap" when anyone was looking, but only
> touched the power
> supply to "discharge" myself of electrostatic
> voltage usually.
>
> Rick Faaberg
>
> --
>
> * * Please support the community that supports you.
> * *
> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

> Harvester
> and archives of thelist go to: